If there is one thing that can't be reused to it's full effect, it is electronic cords. Each piece of electronics comes with it's own cord and they never seem to be the same when the update the item either and when the plug is lost the electronics can become worthless or when the video camera dies, the plug must to tossed as well; if you can find it.

My solution to making electronics and cords last as long as possible comes via my Sharpie. The minute I pull the new item out of the box, I mark the plug. This way, if the cord isn't paired with the item, I will be able to find it amongst the other cobweb of cords.

Metallic silver is perfect for all those black cords and red or black for other cord colors.

This is also very handy for when you have cords plugged in to a 12 count surge protectors. Don't want to unplug the tv, but need to reboot the cable box? Once you get the right one, write on it C.B in a small corner and you'll be ready for when the phone tech tells you to unplug the power to your cable box to reboot it.

Now when you open your desk drawer you will know which cords go to which electronics and will be able to declutter faster when a piece of electronics dies.

Other frugal ways to make life easier with cords:

6 Comments

  1. Kim // Monday, October 04, 2010 11:46:00 AM  

    Like like like! :) I have boxes full of cords I don't even know what they are -- not to mention the tangles and power strips inhabiting my living room and office. Thanks for the great blog!

  2. Unknown // Monday, October 04, 2010 5:06:00 PM  

    That is an amazing idea! I have a drawer full of cords that I have NO IDEA what they belong to!

  3. Anonymous // Tuesday, October 05, 2010 10:49:00 AM  

    I use the tags with the string attached to ID volts and pin +/- on my power bricks in the power brick box from H3ll

  4. Grey // Tuesday, October 05, 2010 1:23:00 PM  

    Thanks for linking to my video.

  5. Anonymous // Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:48:00 PM  

    I've been doing this for many, many years. Every wall wart in the house is labeled with a silver Sharpie. Works great!

  6. Anonymous // Friday, November 12, 2010 3:25:00 PM  

    Toss on a layer of clear packing tape and its there for good.

    I use clear packing tape on a LOT of stuff. Protects the serial number stickers too.